Haddock or Cod in Parmesan bread
This is a perfect dish for weekdays in Iceland, you can use any whitefish to make it but our favorite is either Cod or Haddock.
The ingredients to fish in bread
- 700 gr (25 ounce) Haddock or Cod Fillets
- 1,5 cup of shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup (250 gr) of breadcrumbs
- 2 Eggs
- Flour (just a little to dry up the fish)
- Lemon pepper
- Oil and preferably butter for frying
- Cut the fish into reasonable pieces and pat-dry.
- Prepare 3 shallow dishes, one for a little flour, one for the egg mix, and finally one for the bread crumbs.
- Whisk the eggs and a little milk together in a shallow dish
- Mix together 1 cup of Parmesan cheese and 1 cup of breadcrumbs in another shallow dish. (Leave half a cup of the Parmesan for later).
- Roll one fish piece at a time onto the wheat, the egg mix, and finally the Parmesan Breadcrumbs.
Make sure you cover both sides.
- Heat up oil and butter on a pan but don’t have the pan too hot.
- Fry the fish until it’s got that beautiful golden brown color. This takes about 3-5 minutes.
- Put the fish into an ovenproof dish, spice with lemon pepper, and put the rest of the Parmesan cheese on top.
- Put the fish into a 170 C (338 F) degrees hot oven until you see the cheese has started to melt (This takes roughly 7-10 minutes).
On the side
I recommend having sliced onions with this dish that are simply put into a small pot with some butter and kept there until they reach that gold yellow look. Stir a couple of times.
We usually keep it simple so we also had potatoes and some salad.